30 August 2011

Post-Irene

Well, Irene was a bust, at least in our neighborhood. We got all ready, heeded all the warnings, and holed up in our apartment, not leaving for two whole days! We couldn't go anywhere even if we wanted to, because the subway system was shut down. We were told Irene would rage all day Sunday, but by the time I woke up at 9 a.m., she had already passed, and the only damage we had was a leaf stuck to our living room window whose position (smack dab in the middle) made it difficult to peel off (I had to contort my arm in various ways to reach it).

But it was a nice weekend nonetheless, spent eating all the food we had bought in preparation, reading, and playing Dr. Mario on the Wii. On Sunday we ventured out of our apartment for the first time all weekend and took a little walk around the neighborhood to survey the damage. There wasn't much except for some fallen branches and lots of leaves on the ground.

But Irene brought with her more than just rain, wind, and panic--I think she brought the first taste of fall! The weather has been beautiful--cool non-humid nights, pleasant mornings, and "that Brooklyn autumn taste in the air" that Tyler commented on last night as we walked home from a new neighborhood bar. Though I'm sad I didn't get as many beach days in as I'd planned--and maybe I was a little overzealous in my planning, because I wanted to go every weekend--I'm ready for the new season, my favorite season in New York.

Look at the beautiful post-Irene sky--so perfectly blue! The greens so perfectly green. Not too many of those days left.


No comments:

Post a Comment