16 August 2011

Summer Checklist

I can't believe summer is in its waning stages...it certainly doesn't feel summerlike in New York; it's been rainy and almost chilly since Saturday! Of course, 68-75 degrees isn't chilly, but it sorta seems like it after you've been used to broiling heat.

This fall-like weather has me thinking about my summer reading list I posted in June. As I get ready for my spooky Halloween list (which I need to start soon! It's almost September. Yikes), I wondered how I've been faring with my rather large summer reading list:

THE SISTERS BROTHERS by Patrick DeWitt--I placed a hold on it at the library, so it's just a matter of time before it comes in.

THE WILDER LIFE: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie by Wendy McClure. This book brought me back to my fanatical Laura Ingalls days, when I'd sit in my room embroidering on a wooden hoop pretending I lived on the prairie, or would eat bread and Country Crock butter as a snack and pretend that Ma had baked the bread and churned the butter. It's nice to know I wasn't the only freak out there. Now I want to re-read all the Little House books! Mom, can you mail them to me? :)

LOVE IS A MIXTAPE by Rob Sheffield. Tyler kindly reminded me I haven't read this yet.
TREASURE ISLAND by Robert Louis Stevenson--it's downloaded on my Kindle! And has been since last winter...I need to read this on the beach. Hopefully there are still a few beach days left of the season.

SWAMPLANDIA! by Karen Russell--waited for the paperback, and now waiting for the money to spend on books, instead of all the food I consume.

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES by L.M. Montgomery. Devoured it, then read the next two. I'd like to eventually re-read them all, but I might wait till I get home to my parents' house so I can dig around for my copies. I even convinced a group of friends to start a book club, and this is the first book! I have no idea how I did it. The meeting is tomorrow, and I made raspberry cordial especially for the event (just like Anne was supposed to serve at tea with Diana, but Diana ended up getting drunk from port wine. Who could forget?!)

THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin. I gobbled this up during our trip to Mexico and could barely put it down. It was so unbelievably great--I'd recommend it to anyone. Don't be daunted by its 800 pages! By the time I was nearing the end I didn't want it to stop--I just wanted the story to go on forever. Can't wait until the sequel comes out next year.

Not too bad, not too bad--guess I'll have to keep chugging along into fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment