29 December 2010

We're Back!

I'm sure you've all heard by now, but New York was dumped with 20 inches of snow on the very day Tyler and I were supposed to fly back last Sunday! It was both a blessing and a curse -- it was nice to have a couple extra days of vacation, but it was two and a half more days of Niles being alone, which came to bite us in the ass. I'll explain.

But first...pictures!

I finally arrived to LaGuardia on Tuesday and amazingly, neither of my flights were delayed. In fact, we were EARLY both times! My layover was in Chicago O'Hare, and there were 260 people on the standby list to New York. I felt like my boarding pass with my seat number was one of Willy Wonka's golden tickets.

Coincidentally, the guy I sat next to on the plane to NY is a Manhattan Inn brunch regular (and a roommate of my friend and co-worker, Cameron, which I just discovered today), so we both waited in line for a taxi and split the fare to Brooklyn. Seven blocks from my apartment, our cabbie stopped and refused to drive me any further. As I trudged through the snowy sidewalks with my suitcase, I could see why.

This is our street:


This made me so, so glad I don't have a car anymore.

Upon coming home, I was greeted by the friendliest cat, who didn't leave my side all night and followed me everywhere, silently begging me to never leave again.



But then.

There's always a But Then.

Today I had to take off work and rush him to the vet because there was blood in his urine and he was showing signs of bladder crystals again. Apparently Niles is very sensitive, and our vacation was too much for him to handle. The combination of stress, a full litter box, and the teensiest bit of dry food I asked Jocelin to give to Niles as backup for Christmas Day (as we had no one to feed him that day) made his body revert back to its sinister pre-wet food ways.

He's on antibiotics AGAIN and hopefully this will all clear up in ten days. Oof.

The good thing to come out of this was that he was weighed at the vet and he's lost 1.5 pounds! That's a lot for a kitty. Now he just has to lose three more and he'll be back to what he was when we first got him, and he won't be Cat So Fat.

1 comment:

  1. poor Mr Niles!..his AZ cousins don't like to be home without us, but, they have Sheila who spoils them...

    ReplyDelete