19 December 2010

Rockefeller Christmas

Earlier this week it was Jenny's birthday. She wanted to do one thing that, in the ten-plus years of her living here, she had only seen twice: the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. So in the spirit of Christmas, tourism, and Jenny's 32nd birthday, a group of us took the two trains to 54th Street.

One of the girls who came with us, Lisa, had a trash bag full of puppets. I never figured out why she had them -- I think they were for some kids.

I think they were Muppet knock-offs.

What kills me is the look on the puppet's face...

Oh God...THE TORTURE!!!

It took longer to get to the tree than the time we actually spent looking at it. Because in reality, it's just...a tree.

A really big tree.

With 30,000 Christmas lights attached to 5 miles of wiring, and a 550 pound Swarovski-bedazzled star on top.

The first Rockefeller tree was erected in 1931 by construction workers while the Rockefeller Center was being built. It was a 20-foot Balsam fir that had strings of cranberries and paper garlands.

Except in 1932, there's been a Norway spruce every year since.

Interesting tidbit from the Rockefeller Center's website: "The 75th tree marked the start of a new eco-friendly tradition in 2007. It was cut down with a two-person handsaw, and illuminated by 30,000 LEDs that used a fraction of the energy of normal bulbs. When the time came to take the tree down, Rockefeller Center partnered with Habitat for Humanity, which milled and treated it for future use as 'green' lumber."

Rockefeller Center itself is a labyrinth. It took us forever to find the bathrooms, and there are so many corridors and shops.

I know it's a touristy thing, but we still had so much fun. It was something to cross off my bucket list at least. We had fun watching the ice skaters and trying to predict who would fall. Then laughing at the ones who did fall.


And then I looked across the ice skating rink and saw a Lego store and immediately thought of my brother Matt.

Matt loved Legos as much as I loved Barbies. My parents still have two whole bins full of his Legos. If only you were ten years younger, Matt, I'd have gone into that store to buy you expensive plastic toys for Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. g'ma wants to know where are the Barbies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you'd post some pics of that excursion! The tree is beautiful. So jealous of all the wonderful, fun experiences you are enjoying in the big city....sigh.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma, I think the Barbies might still be in the attic...who knows!

    And Roxanne, I think I'm finally starting to appreciate living here and all the opportunities I get to see things. It just takes motivation to make the excursion!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Barbies are dead! They had green hair from all the baths they took with Sarah and we had to exterminate them one by one.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete