09 December 2010

Gin Mingle

Last night I went to one of my first literary events in NYC. My friend John, a barback at the place where I work, is also a part-time literary agent assistant -- and because we have such similar interests, are new New Yorkers, and I'm trying to get into publishing too, we've become pretty good friends and have formed a sort of team. He invited me to a soiree for the publishing literati called the Gin Mingle.

The Gin Mingle was at a great place called Housing Works Bookstore Cafe. Housing Works is a nonprofit AIDS organization, and the Bookstore Cafe is filled with books whose proceeds go to helping people with AIDS and making sure they have housing, medical care, mental health care, etc. The 'Gin' part of the Gin Mingle was sponsored by Hendrick's, so there was this basil lemonade gin punch thing they were handing out. For an admission of $20 and a book, I thought it would be a great way to meet people. And a good cause, of course!

This is the space. FILLED with people!

This is the bar. I thought it was funny.


I think John and I had the most fun possible in two hours' time. Our goals were to make one friend and drink $20 worth of punch. The DJ was awesome and played lots of 80s guilty pleasures --- which means a lot of Madonna.


But there was also some Motown, and John taught me how to swing dance. I still suck.

Unfortunately the music was loud, the place was packed, and it was hard to have an actual conversation with anyone. But I did get one business card from an agent, and I'm going to inquire about a possible internship. I also made friends with the girl in front of me in the bathroom line, whose name was Lisa and probably drank 10 punches. She loved to dance, let me tell you.

Then, we ate the last of the mini chocolate cupcakes, the lights went on at 10:30, and we took a train back to Brooklyn.

Overall it was a lovely time and I'm glad I got to go to such an event. Hopefully if John gets invited to any more of these gigs, I can tag along and get to have more conversations with people!



(Pics by Nicky Digital)

2 comments:

  1. Joann says.....
    Wow..what hostility! If that is NY, then I
    agree it's not for you..you're so above it...and kudos to John for busting is butt to reach his dream.....keep your light shining...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Grandma, if some random person can only say nasty things through the guise of an anonymous comment, I can delete them just as quickly. Nobody needs to be mean.

    ReplyDelete