04 December 2010

Turducken

Do you know what a turducken is?

(Picture borrowed from this blog)

Our gang -- Josh, Hannah, Junk, Tourek, Dan, Andy, Alli, and Cale (funny how Junk and Tourek go by their last names whereas everyone else's are...well, not) -- had talked about cooking a turducken for at least a year. It would come up in casual conversation: "Can you imagine how good a turducken would be?" "We should cook a turducken before Sarah and Tyler leave" "Where do you even get a turducken?" "Would we have to make it ourselves? Or can you buy it already made?"

The latter question was answered when Dan discovered Wohlner's, a neighborhood grocery, makes turduckens by special order.

So they all special ordered a $130 turducken.

Everyone pitched in and bought a turducken for us to enjoy on our first reunion night.

It took 9 hours and Hannah dutifully basting the turducken every half hour, but eventually, the turducken -- which we'd taken the liberty of covering in bacon as well -- was ready.


Three types of meat covered in bacon.

Hannah started to carve the turducken with an electric knife, but a) the electric knife sucked


and b) guys can't resist this type of thing.

So naturally Josh had to jump in to finish the job.

Even though the knife still sucked.

But let me tell you...


The chicken inside the duck inside the turkey wrapped in bacon was the most succulent, moist, delicious meat I've ever eaten.

It was almost better...well, maybe it tied with...the DEEP-FRIED TURKEY (that had been marinating two days in Thousand Island dressing) we had the next day for our actual Thanksgiving meal.

And to think, last year I was a vegetarian!

3 comments:

  1. I meant to ask about the veggie thing when we saw you last weekend... Kevin gave it up too, about a month ago. He still isn't eating much meat, but he definitely enjoyed Thanksgiving and the leftovers since. It was great to see you guys, and we'd love to see you again during Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    I love your blog because it reminds me that I'm not the only one who left Nebraska for the "big city" and wondered if I made the right choice. I was only in Lincoln for two years, and the whole time I couldn't wait to leave and move to a "real city," but now that I'm here in DC, I just miss everything so much--the solitude and quiet, the nice people, the lack of traffic, my friends . . . and the list goes on! While DC has a lot to offer, there is something missing, and I don't feel like it will ever be home! Anyway, thanks for writing and I hope you keep it up. It's great to know I have a kindred spirit out here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Katie, you are DEFINITELY not alone! It really does take being away from a place to make you realize how great it really was. I'm trying to see the best in NY but I often miss the SPACE in Nebraska. Being able to see fields and trees and an uninterrupted sky!

    ReplyDelete