30 November 2010

Homecoming

We're back in New York.

Tyler and I had a great trip to Omaha for Thanksgiving. He flew back to NY on Sunday while I stayed on a couple extra days. I got to see a lot of friends and family and I'm so glad...it was like a shot of life and energy.

I landed at La Guardia a few hours ago after an awful, long day. Flying is a hell they charge you an arm and a leg to experience. Took a taxi back to our apartment, dropped off my suitcase, and then left right away to arrive late to my publishing class.

While waiting for the train and trying not to cry (I had just called Dad and told him I was home safe, and immediately started feeling homesick again), I watched a rat climb out of the track bed and onto the opposite platform. You know, where people wait for the train. An unassuming woman walked toward the end of the platform where the rat was "exploring." I don't think she ever saw the thing. But if she did, she didn't care and kept walking right by the rat.

The rat crept around for a bit and disappeared into the tunnel before anyone noticed.

I think it was saying, "Welcome back, Sarah."

(picture taken from some blog that came up when I Googled "rat in subway")


Then my train came. I plucked a golden retriever hair from my black coat, thought of the cute dogs I had said goodbye to only hours before, and tried not to cry (again).

Sigh.

Welcome back, indeed.

3 comments:

  1. If its any consolation, we miss you already too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( I miss you guys. Thanks for helping me play Settlers of Catan. Next time I won't need help beating Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gma's thought for the day....New York may not be forever...you both will succeed wherever you are. love you

    ReplyDelete