I got a front row seat today at Manhattan Inn, as the runners passed right by on Manhattan Avenue.
Normally, a marathon wouldn't be anything special to me. I can't run 26.2 miles. I can barely do the 1.6 miles Tyler and I jogged a couple weeks ago; for three days afterward I could barely walk because I was so sore and out of shape. When I tried it again I had to walk because the stitch in my side was so bad I almost keeled over any time I tried to pick up the pace.
It was truly pathetic. I used to go to the gym all the time.
I felt even worse when, as I walked up to work from the bus stop, the wheelchair/handcyclists passed by. These people are truly amazing. Can you imagine the upper body strength necessary to push a bicycle 26.2 miles WITH YOUR ARMS?
If they can do it, I can do it. Right?
The most amazing thing to me is that people come from all over the world to run this race -- and the people are all sorts of body types. The scary-skinny all-muscle runners are the Real Deal, but I saw a 70 year-old man running and he didn't look like he was going to slow down any time soon -- and this was mile 12!If he can do it, I can do it. Right?
Then came the main throng of runners. What was great about it is that everybody on the sidelines cheered for everyone...and I couldn't help cheering them on, myself.It was definitely something to see. Maybe next year.
Half marathon?
What do you eat after you run 26 miles? Has anyone done it who can tell me? I imagine your body is so...traumatized...that you have to treat it gently and avoid the urge to stuff your face with fat and greasy food, like I would do.
Actually, I had a table today that participated in the "Bloody Marathon" -- this one sounded like there was a little less training involved. You sign up and there's a series of bars you wander to, and you drink a Bloody Mary at each one.
My table was pretty drunk by the time they got to the Inn at 3:00. They were also Bloody Mary-ed out and drank coffee instead. Which is a shame, because we have the best Bloodies around. We really do. My first 21st birthday drink was a Bloody Mary, so they have a special place in my heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment