Sunday I was determined not to waste the sunny weather, and I dragged Tyler to Long Beach. It was our first time taking the Long Island Rail Road, and we barely made it on time. The railroad is all above ground and was a really beautiful ride. Not to mention quiet -- there was hardly anyone on board. The time went by quickly and I hardly read any of my book -- too busy looking at all the trees and cute houses outside.
We reached the Long Beach station in no time, and a ten-minute walk and $24 later, we entered under the boardwalk and were there, with beach and sand and sky.


Ah, the beautiful Atlantic ocean. Freezing ocean, yes, and we only dipped our toes in, but it was so lovely to just be there. The weather was warm but not hot...
...and we both underestimated the power of the sun (and our spf) and thus burnt ourselves horribly. But we had a nice little picnic for the afternoon, snacking on hummus, crackers, dried apricots, and beer we brought in a cooler. It's so easy to forget that a day trip to the beach is only an hour away from our apartment by train.
Monday: another Long Island Rail Road trip to Patchogue, where Jocelin's parents have a house. With a pool. That is heated. And the house has a deck that overlooks the bay. And bamboo growing in the backyard. And birds chirping in this secluded paradise. It was so hard to leave, but just one day of quiet, friends, catching up on celebrity gossip (thanks, Us Weekly) and grilling was so restorative. I didn't sit in the sun too much because my skin was still smarting from the day before. But I was much, much more diligent about the SPF. At the end of the day, we all drove home in Jocelin's car and played the three-song rule, where you have to listen to three songs no matter what station comes on the radio. It ended up being really fun, and a great weekend. I wish we had three-day weekends more often! I feel like a new person.
A lazier person.

No comments:
Post a Comment