02 May 2011

Brooklyn Botanic Garden




What a gorgeous weekend! 65 and sunny both days -- nature was simply begging me to get out and enjoy it. And I've been craving trees and flowers lately. Sometimes all I see are the lack of plants around me and it makes me miss my parents' house, where I would look out my bedroom window and see the creek and all the trees, tulips, rabbits, and squirrels.

The Cherry Blossom Festival at Brooklyn Botanic Garden was this weekend, so Tyler and I trekked down to see all the trees in peak bloom. I think it took us longer to commute there than the actual time spent in the garden. Also, I forget that if I've heard of a weekend event, other people have too.

The place was crawling with people. It's like I can't get away from them!

"Are you really that surprised?" asked Tyler. "8 million people live here. Even if 1% of the population heard about this, that's still 80,000 people." Nevertheless, I had a pleasant time sitting in the grass underneath the cherry blossoms with Tyler, drinking a beer I actually liked (Sixpoint Sweet Action). Not much else had bloomed yet, but for $10 it's a nice retreat -- you can't see any buildings around you and for a moment (if you ignore the people) you can forget that you live in a city. It felt good to have the sun shining on my mayonnaise-colored skin! Hopefully I'll get some COLOR someday so I don't feel like I'm blinding people with my pasty legs and arms.


If I ever feel like traveling an hour to get there, I'll be sure to come again!

No comments:

Post a Comment