In this month's issue of Real Simple (my favorite magazine) there's a feature where photographer Jake Chessum, on what makes his life real simple, says, "Once a month, my wife and I drive from New York City to her parents' house in South Jersey. We say our hellos, install the kids in front of the TV, and disappear down the road to Target on Route 73. We each pick a cart and get to work. I usually take the practical stuff (lightbulbs, cleaning supplies) before hitting the toy department. My wife sifts through birthday cards and toiletries. We'll meet by the stacks of cat litter and use the time away from the kids to catch up -- yes, this is our version of a date. Being with her and, well, a 12-roll pack of paper towels leaves me feeling utterly satisfied."
When I read this, I felt an instant pang of both empathy for this NYC couple who go wild at Target, and separation -- from my beloved Target.
Tar-jay Boutique has been a fixture of my life for as long as I can remember. I remember going with my mom to run errands when I was a kid in Phoenix and going with my mom to run errands when I was in high school in Omaha. As I've got older, went to college, moved out, lived on my own, etc., I relied more and more on Target and its many aisles of everything you could possibly want.
As Target redesigned their brand and grew to be less, well, ghetto and dirty, it became the go-to store when I needed a new shirt or sundress. When I needed to replace a pair of sunglasses, I drove to Target. Sandals? Target. Cleaning supplies? Target. Makeup/shampoo/deodorant/toothpaste/eye makeup remover/cheap DVDs/Kleenex? Target.
However, Tyler and I bought the big stuff -- the 32-pack of toilet paper, the 14-pound tub of kitty litter, the gargantuan bag of carrots -- at Costco.
Oh, how I miss Costco! Your cheap slices of pizza and free samples and bulk everything...but that's a different story for a different time.
Back to the Real Simple quote. I can totally relate to this guy not because he likes to go on dates with his wife and get away from his kids and shop in the toy department, but because it becomes such an event when there isn't one anywhere nearby. Target is no longer a 7 minute drive up Dodge Street from our apartment; it's a half-hour train ride to downtown Brooklyn where you can only buy what you can carry home in your arms. It's no longer a fun, leisurely stroll through a clean Midwestern store on the corner of deserted CrossRoads Mall; it's a crazy, dirty, two-story hellhole where things are in disarray and all you want to do is grab your stuff and get the hell out of there.
I could also appreciate Jake Chessum's love of the all-encompassing nature of Target -- from lightbulbs to bedspreads to hair dye to the pharmacy department and frozen food aisle, Target has everything, and most places here do not. Typically you'll have to travel to quite a few little shops if you want to check items off your shopping list. It's exhausting.
Bottom line is, when I come home to visit (which will hopefully be for Thanksgiving), I'm bringing an extra suitcase and spending an afternoon in Target.
Not to mention, a 12-roll pack of paper towels would make me feel utterly satisfied, too.
Well.
If we had anywhere to put it. :)

oh Sarah....if I could package a Target I truly would wrap and ship it to you! One of the first things I did when we moved back to the valley was to go to the Target on Bell...what memories it brought back....Oh, I discovered that the Target I go to is carrying Mrs. Meyers cleaning stuff.....I'm off to there this morning.....love you girl...and love to Tyler and Niles, too.....gma
ReplyDeleteI'm with gma if I could I would. I can't go there until my card is paid off....200 left and I'm there. Its also not fun going by myself I always like taking someone else. If you had a target wish list what would it be? love ya Mom
ReplyDeleteGrandma -- I love Mrs. Meyers cleaning products. The lavender all purpose cleaner is so wonderful, it makes cleaning my floors every week not so heinous. I even asked for it for my birthday, which is a little pathetic.
ReplyDeleteMom, my Target wish list...would be very long. It would probably include all aforementioned Meyers cleaning supplies, floss, various toiletries that cost twice as much here, laundry detergent, that Pledge pet hair remover that I can't find here, cute clothing basics like plain t-shirts, dresses and fall jackets, underwear...basically everything!!! Which is why I'm going to have to take an extra suitcase to Omaha.