Tyler's still grading GRE exams until 8. I got home a few hours ago from my second measly brunch of the weekend, where I made a grand total of $150, which is what I usually make in a day. Oh well, it was a relatively stress-free weekend of working, which was nice because I've been feeling a bit under the weather. I don't know if it's allergies or what, but I suspect a change-of-season cold is the culprit, though Tyler says I could have worse allergies here because there are different things to be allergic to.
I hear it's really cold in Omaha -- like, in the 40s and 50s. For once I'm glad to be here instead of there, because it's beautiful -- the leaves are just starting to change, but the weather is in the upper 70s. There seems to be more of an autumn here than in Omaha, and though I'll miss apple picking in Nebraska City and Tyler already misses the Husker games, I like spending autumn here forming new 'traditions', like taking part in Jenny and Jocelin's annual pumpkin-carving party, and wine and cheese nights in their backyard. Or Ducktoberfest at duckduck this Wednesday. I keep hearing from everyone that this is the time of year when the city really comes alive, and I'm starting to feel that energy and it makes me excited.
What also makes me excited this time of year are SCARY STORIES! After reading Young Romantics about the lives of English poets Byron, Keats, Shelley, and his wife Mary, I've been wanting to read Mary Shelley's book, Frankenstein. Frankenstein has become such a steadfast Halloween icon, but I feel like I don't really know the story all that well, except a man's creation comes to life and blah blah blah. But the story is much deeper than that and raises a lot of moral and societal questions, and I think I am old enough now to understand those underlying issues -- and what better time to read a Gothic tale than before Halloween?!
I think these are next on my list to pick up from the library:
Horace Walpole - Castle of Otranto
Vincent Bugliosi - Helter Skelter
Thomas Tryon - Harvest Home
1973 horror novel about a family from NYC who move to an isolated, idyllic farming village that turns out to be a cultish freak zone of people with neo-paganistic rituals.
Do any of you guys have good scary story recommendations? They're the perfect reads for chilly fall nights!

Sorry you're not feeling so well... the couch has been my home this weekend as well, thanks to a horrible allergy season in Rapid City. You should use the nasal wash I sent to Tyler. I've heard so many good things about it. For my reading, I've decided it's time to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird....
ReplyDeleteGet better. Kiss Tyler and Niles for me.
Roxanne
Nice blog!I like your blog and masteryourgre.com. They are useful for me.
ReplyDelete