30 November 2011

Thanksgiving

Hello! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I was able to go home for a few days, which was wonderful, partly because there was no sadness in it. Usually when I go home there's always a melancholy voice in the back of my head reminding me that I'll have to leave in x number of days (isn't that how it is with any vacation? I remember never wanting to leave Mexico). It's always best on the first day, because it seems like you have so much time ahead of you.

This time around, I wasn't sad because I get to come back for Christmas for a whole week! So when I said goodbye, I knew I'd be seeing everyone again soon. It'll be on the last day before I leave, though, New Year's Eve, that will make me sad, because I don't know when I'll be able to come back.

Anyway, I ate lots of fried turkey, drank lots of wine, snuggled with a lot of dogs, and drove my parents' new car (lots). I flew out of Omaha right as the sun was coming up...


The sky was breathtaking, and the clouds below looked like a pink pilled baby blanket. I smiled and felt hopeful. More and more I become--not excited, but at least glad to come back to Brooklyn, even when I have to take three trains to get home from the Newark airport. To climb the steps aboveground and emerge in our familiar neighborhood, to walk past the Stella di Sicilia bakery and the new hip (and way expensive) coffee joint, past the organic grocery store on the corner. To climb our gray steps, open our door, and be greeted by our little cat (it's much easier to say hello to him than to two slobbery dogs!).


But by that point I was feeling ill, my nose was runny and my body was starting to ache, and I spent the next two days home sick (not homesick).

No comments:

Post a Comment