01 December 2011

Peter Orner reading

Recently I attended a reading and author/editor Q&A with my fellow lovely literary assistants. Peter Orner is a client of one of the agents I work for, and he was reading from his new book, Love and Shame and Love (isn't the cover gorgeous?). It was at the Center for Fiction, an absolutely wonderful nonprofit in a beautiful, old building. I had a great time and was thrilled to learn that one of Peter's favorite authors is fellow Nebraskan Wright Morris. I haven't read anything by him but promised to pick something up...


 Pat Strachan (Peter's editor at Little, Brown) and Peter Orner




Me, Iris, Monika, and Meredith
I've decided one of my New Year's resolutions (not that I ever do those/make them/remember them/keep them) is to attend more readings and literary events. I always want to go home after work, but sometimes I need to remember that I live in the one of the best places for literature. Part of my job, after all, is to know what's going on in contemporary fiction (and non-fiction), to hear new authors, to be in touch with what's great and what's selling etc. And how awesome is that? Every day I am thankful for my job (especially after reading this article in the New York Times, which really irritated Monika--and me) and that I get to hang out with people who love books as much as I do. And it's times like these that I'm so happy I get to live here.

(Photos by Jennifer Pan for the Center for Fiction)

No comments:

Post a Comment