05 December 2011

Holiday Decorating

Tyler and I don't really decorate for any holiday. I kind of think it's a waste of time -- we come home late and no one ever sees it anyway except for us and the cat. A tree would never fit, and the one little fake tree we used to have that sat in a tin bucket is still in Nebraska, because (and here's the other problem) there was nowhere to store it. We have no ornaments here, and I refuse to decorate the outside of our door with a sheet of plastic that has pictures of Santa on it. Like our neighbor.

Last weekend at the farmer's market I passed by the most wonderful-smelling booth selling Christmas trees, wreaths, and evergreen bunches. I only had $6 on me, but I desperately wanted something...so I bought a bundle of evergreen branches and hung them on a window-turned-chalkboard that my mom made. It's so nice to walk by and take a whiff of a Christmas tree! Then I can pretend that we have one.




I think it will be the extent of my holiday decorating, but I might buy a pine tree candle so I can do my Christmas-tree-imagining with a doubly potent smell.

Nevertheless, it's still nice to walk around the city and see the window displays, the Christmas lights, and the big lit-up Christmas tree in the park across from my work. It puts me in the holiday spirit, despite not having anything at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment