12 January 2011

New Job!

This past month has been a whirlwind for me...

First, I met a friend of a friend at a birthday party who was starting a non-profit publishing company and offered me an intern position. I said of course.

Last week I interviewed for another internship position, this time at a literary agency. I was offered the position and I said of course, and I worked out my schedule so that I'd be paying the bills (aka serving) four days a week, interning for two full days, and I'd have one day of rest. My first day was Tuesday.

Monday evening I received a phone call from an agency I had interviewed with earlier in November. They had a position open as an assistant for two agents and wanted to know if I was interested in coming in for another interview.

I said of course.

So on my only day of rest (today) I trekked through the freshly fallen snow (we didn't get 14 inches like Katie Couric said we would) to 41 Madison Avenue, the same building where Tyler works as an editorial assistant at WH Freeman. I spoke to the two agents and the office manager. The office manager and I are both from Phoenix and recent NY transplants, so we get along great!

Then I met the CEO, and he told the office manager, "Don't let her go."

Two hours later, still in the office, I was offered a job on the spot. Was I interested?

I said OF COURSE!

So starting tomorrow, Tyler and I will be working in the same building in New York City, separated by a mere one floor.

It's funny how five months ago I was lamenting my life and lack of opportunities, then all of a sudden they pile up on top of each other. I guess that's how life works, isn't it? I'm so excited to finally be doing something I've wanted to for so long. Sure, I'll miss the cold hard cash that waiting tables provides...but ohhhh well. This is the field I've wanted to be in since I was twelve years old, writing books about the Oregon Trail on my parents' old computer and being the annoying kid who pointed out misspelled menus when we went out to eat.

It was all for a purpose, Mom and Dad!

3 comments:

  1. Gary and I are so thrilled for you, Sarah! We know the move to NY was a big adjustment for you but you hung in there and now look what's happened! Keep us posted as to how it's going...
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'pa and I are so proud of you, Sarah! You are on the path that you set for yourself and kept the goal in your vision. Wonder what the odds that you and Tyler would be in the same building one floor apart? Unbelievable! We love you and carry you in our hearts. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah ... how awesome!!! An answer to our Prayers and hopes for you ... and for Tyler!! GPaRL

    ReplyDelete