22 July 2010

Cat Drool

This little punk scared us yesterday.

For the past few days Niles has had some fixation on the bathroom. He lays in the bathroom, sleeps in the bathroom, and would paw at the crevice between the wall and the sink. In the morning I would come in and find bits of drywall and dirt on the floor from him poking around. Once I even found an old cotton ball. Gross.

Yesterday afternoon I went to The Brooklyn Kitchen to buy a muffin tin for my plan to bake the best muffins ever (which I did this morning and which, by the way, are absolutely delicious). While there, I got a text from Tyler saying that Niles was drooling excessively and made a big puddle all over the couch.

Now, for all you dog lovers who have no idea about cats, it's not normal for them to drool. Dogs drool -- how many times have I been goobered on by Sammy, Sophie, or Oliver? -- but cats? Cats don't slobber. I hurried home and found Niles on the bed laying in a giant wet spot of drool. All over our comforter. By this point I think our whole comforter needs to be washed -- poor Niles refused to lay anywhere else.

I let Tyler do the research about cat drool. We were torn between waiting it out and going to a vet -- until I saw our poor cat's eyes watering. He couldn't even open his eyes, and when Tyler pried them open, Niles's 3rd eyelid was showing...that's a sign that he's in pain. (I didn't even know cats had third eyelids until yesterday...I'm glad Tyler did the research, though.) I picked him up and wiped the drool off his body. Usually when I try to pick him up, he'll stay for 5 seconds before wriggling away. But this time he was limp, resigned, and in too much pain to argue.

So, to cut to the chase, Tyler called a vet and they said even though they were booked to bring him in because "it sounds like an emergency." Ack! So we "rushed" to the vet -- rushed as in shoved him in his carrier and walked the 6 blocks to the Williamsburg Animal Clinic. Niles did not like the walk, but remained pretty quiet after a few pathetic howls.

Vet tech took a look. Nope, not an emergency. He must've just got into something.

What? We walked all this way...? Okay, okay, fine. It's better than paying for yet ANOTHER vet visit. So we walked back and Tyler tied a bib on him to catch the drool. It didn't work very well.


Anyway, Niles is a lot better today. Our hypothesis is that he got into something when he was so interested in the crack between the wall and the sink in the bathroom. In fact, Tyler found a roach motel in there.

Gross.

I had no idea what a roach motel looks like, and when we first moved in I saw it when I was cleaning and almost threw it away, but forgot. It's this little black plastic thing. Who knows how old it is -- it probably doesn't even work anymore since we've killed like 4 little roach guys in the bathroom.

Mom, you'll be happy to know that it is getting much easier for me to kill bugs. Especially when we have a cat that points them out to us.

We think he must've got into the roach poison somehow and it made him sick. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Now that I know he's not going to DIE...


Gosh, I'm sorry I talk to much about our cat. I know it's so annoying when people do that.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Niles. He certainly has had his share of upsetting events in such a short time....love the scarf..he looks so handsome...gma

    ReplyDelete
  2. That scarf is hilarious! I hate it when pets are sick... it is freaky. I've driven Tina frantically to Council Bluffs to our hillbilly vet plenty of times, so you can imagine how often Emory goes to the pediatrician. ;-) Gotta take care of our babies!

    <3 Adria

    ReplyDelete