Tyler is on a plane to New York as I write! I had to drop him off at the airport at 4:30 a.m...I hate hearing the birds chirping at 4 in the morning. It only reminds me that daylight will soon be on its way to stream through my windows and wake me up. Somehow I managed to fall back asleep for another hour, though, before I had to go to work, and I dreamt...well, here's the thing:
You know when you have dreams that kind of start off where you left off in real life? Like, in my dream I was sleeping because I'd just dropped Tyler off at the airport. In my half-consciousness (real life) I heard a noise that woke me up briefly, but concluded it was the cat and fell back asleep. But in my DREAM which must have resumed promptly after I shut my eyes, the noise was people trying to break in! My dream-self woke up at the noise of footsteps in my apartment, and I grabbed my phone and ran out to see who it was. For some reason I wasn't scared; I was pissed off that these stupid idiots were interrupting my slumber. I yelled at them and tried to call 911 but I ended up calling 987 first or something, and I felt like it took forever to call 911. Like my fingers were too fat for the tiny BlackBerry keys or something. (Which is the truth.) But anyway, I very calmly explained to the emergency dispatcher that there were three guys breaking into my house -- scrawny, young blonde dudes. Then I called Tyler and said there were people breaking into our apartment...
Dreams are weird. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with them. Maybe the people breaking in is my hidden fear of being alone for a week in my apartment...I mean, I'm not afraid of living by myself, but sometimes I freak myself out. Like the whole "Midtown Rapist" fiasco last summer--around that time Tyler and Hannah's boyfriend Josh were on a float trip down the Niobrara, and Hannah and I slept over at her and Josh's house because we were afraid to be alone. In the end we scared each other more than if we had been by ourselves...every noise made us jump, we made sure to lock all the windows, and the sound of a tree scratching the window pane was enough to make our eyes fly open and our hearts jump. In the end Hannah called her brother Ian and he drove all the way from West Omaha just to sleep on her couch and protect us. It's just nice to have someone else there, someone you feel safe with, but I suppose for the next 7 days it'll just be me and the cat and I'll have to survive! I'm gonna have to grow some balls anyway if I'm going to live in New York City.
Speaking of, we have a lead on an apartment! A friend of a friend of Tyler's is moving out of her apartment at the end of June. It's a 1 bedroom + office in the heart of Hipster Capital of the World-- Williamsburg, Brooklyn, near the Marcy JMZ and Bedford L subway stops -- one stop out of Manhattan and Union Square (where there's a Trader Joe's...hooray!). Tyler is going to see it tonight--he talked to the girl and she said her landlord said he wouldn't raise the rent and would accept us based on her reference. Which is nice, that he won't raise the rent, considering the rent is the ceiling of what we can afford -- $1,600 a month! I still can't get used to how expensive apartments are in NY -- we will be paying over twice what we pay now for an apartment that will most likely be half the size or smaller. I'm excited to see what the apartment looks like, though, so I can start mentally decorating it and figuring out what can go with us in the U-Haul and what will have to be Craigslisted or garage-saled.
I hope it all works out. Two weeks ago we had just gotten back from spending Memorial Day weekend in Rapid City with Tyler's parents...and in that same amount of time, two weeks from now, we will be on our way across the country to a new home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Exccciitted for you!
ReplyDeleteFYI, your frugal Omaha self will soon get used to the insane price difference of everything.
Happy blogging!
congrats on the move darlin! jealous!!!
ReplyDeletexo Rah
that sounds amazing...so exciting! also, my dreams last night started where my real life left off as well. crazy dreams!
ReplyDeleteSarah-
ReplyDeleteit's great to read about your move to Brooklyn. I am very happy for you
and Tyler. Reading this makes me wish I were in your shoes, moving to NYC
and having a brand new experience. I hope someday I write
something like this--where I am as excited and curious as you've been writing about NY.
I am enjoying the blog. Keep us updated!
--Juan Carrillo
I