23 August 2010

The American Museum of Natural History

Okay, so this is a little late. But I just couldn't bring myself to update this blog...and I've been kind of busy with working two jobs. Today is drizzly and cold and my only day off this week. I'm trying to remain positive but it's hard when it's raining and miserable outside! I cleaned our apartment, went to the library and picked up Young Romantics: the Tangled Lives of English Poetry's Greatest Generation (about the dramatic lives of Mary Shelley [who wrote Frankenstein], her husband Percy Bysshe Shelley, John Keats, Lord Byron, William Hazlitt, and others!) and a few movies for Tyler and I to watch tonight. Then I think I'll make a veggie pot pie -- it always makes me feel better when I cook, bake, or clean. I guess it makes me feel less city-like and more home-like; in a place where it's so easy to eat out or hire someone to clean (or just not clean at all), it makes me feel more normal when I can do the things I always used to do in Omaha. Except now instead of going five blocks to Baker's and buying everything at one grocery store, I have to go to a few different places to find what I want for my pot pie. And I'll probably end up spending more that way, too.

Anyway, here are the highlights of our trip last week:

Dinosaurs.

I could only capture a portion of his mammoth because of its mammoth size. Ba-dum-ching! Word origins!

I sent this picture to my dad and told him he should hang it on the wall instead of the stuffed moose head he got from Abercrombie. He replied that I should see if I can buy it because Oliver would like it.

I am very sad that Triceratops is no longer recognized as a dinosaur. RIP Sara from Land Before Time!


Speaking of Land Before Time...remember these little guys? Runnin' all fast?

Tyler's favorite guy, because he was jumping in mid-air and looks happy.

A giant sea turtle!!

Look at his eyes!


Giant sea brontosaurus-thing suspended on the ceiling.


A REALLY OLD tree!

The only monkey that I've ever seen with an Alf snout.

Whoever has been to a museum knows that you need to see what you are most excited to see FIRST, because the (read: my) attention span and energy is like one of those sand vials that slowly dwindles as time passes. At first I'm really pumped and take a lot of pictures, like the dinosaur exhibit.

By the time we were at the rocks and minerals floor two and a half hours later, my feet were dragging and I couldn't have cared less about a 34-ton meteorite, a half-million year-old Neanderthal/human skeleton, or the largest sapphire in the world. My feet hurt and my brain was spent.

Although I will say that after seeing the human ancestry exhibit, I find it difficult to believe that there are still people out there who deny evolution. Or who deny that dinosaurs existed millions of years ago because it goes against the biblical timeline.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! Sarah that is so amazing. It looks like you had a great time. Please know that you are BLESSED!! Enjoy this time and soak it in girl because I wish I could of had some adventures like that. I miss you, think of you and most of all pray for you and Ty. I LOVE YOU!!!Mom

    ReplyDelete